Incomplete Tales

Hi everyone, I'm a 23 year old fangirl from le Canada. I'm just transferring from GR and I blog reviews on incompletetales.tumblr.com. I enjoy vast genres and am indeed a Hufflepuff, so don't be afraid to say hello :)

Fire - Kristin Cashore

So I went into this book after reading an absolutely mind numbingly TERRIBLE book (ahem The Lost Symbol) so this review may be skewed on that basis. Basically I picked it up knowing it won’t be as bad as the book I read before hand, plus having reading Graceling, I had good reason for high hopes because Kristin has this really-just-magical way of writing.

I took my time with this book-reading a chapter a day, no matter how badly I wanted to devour it, and I’m finally finished after a good month.

So basically this is a sort of prequel to Graceling, released after the publication of said prior book and basically it takes place waaaay into the past. I don’t think there were any characters from Graceling in this book, which was very hard at first because I just missed Katsa and Po. The summary does the book justice explaining how it’s a romantic adventure. Basically, the plot focused more on the relationships between Fire and everyone around her. No, it dididn’t solely focus on her love interest which was extremely refreshing. It can be highly irritating when some young adult books put the action and plot to the back and focus on the love aspect which isn’t very realistic at all. So kudos to this book for literally keeping that till the  near end of the story.

In the very beginning, you realize that the story cannot be any different from Graceling. I know I’m comparing this a lot, but hey it’s a prequel so I’m allowed to focus on that. Reading Fire showed the Dells and nothing had to do with the graceling powers which was interesting because we got to see another side of this world. Kirstin has this amazing way of interweaving the setting with the story and it really immerses you into the location. And location was indeed quite important because Fire, along with many guards and whatnot, moved around back and forth quite a bit so the reader does have to be comfortable with remembering the places, the kings/queens, etc.

The great thing about the writing was that it never felt like there was too much information. I know for adventure books the author might get a little carried away with the description which can get VERY boring but Fire seemed to have the perfect balance between descriptions and attaching emotions to said descriptions.

I thoroughly enjoyed how the main character went through ups and downs, again and again. She will have moments where you might be annoyed at her whining (oh I’m so beautiful), bratty and childish self but then you will see her grow into this brave, mature, and inspirational (to the people around her) character. However, the great twist is that Fire not only manages to grow, but she also fails AGAIN and has to re-learn things, JUST like a real human being.

I’m really looking forward to reading Bitterblue, although I have heard some people have gripes that it did not live up to their expectations. Overall, an amazing read. I was satisfied whilst reading the book as well as after finishing it. My only gripe is that it may not have re-readable quality to it. I have no idea why but I don’t see myself rushing to pick this book up in the future. So for the reason of not being a memorable read, but still very satisfying, this book gets solid 4/5 stars.