Incomplete Tales

Hi everyone, I'm a 23 year old fangirl from le Canada. I'm just transferring from GR and I blog reviews on incompletetales.tumblr.com. I enjoy vast genres and am indeed a Hufflepuff, so don't be afraid to say hello :)

Bitterblue - Ian Schoenherr, Kristin Cashore

Bitterblue

Bitterblue is now queen of Monsea, still under the influence of her father Leck, a violent psychopath who altered minds. Her advisers want to pardon evildoers and forget everything, but she sees the past holds fast. Two thieves, who only steal what has been stolen, hold the truth and change her life. One, his Grace skill unidentified, has a key to her heart.

Review

I think this book should make a great read for teenagers who are into fantasy reads. It’s clear from all the detail about the world this series is set in that Ms. Cashore has done substantive research to give it that great high fantasy feel, although I think it has certain elements that a lot of paranormal books do as well.

However, I do understand why some people were extremely disappointed by this book, especially those who had to wait for this to be published after reading Fire. It is a let down because primarily, not much happens according to the plot.  I think if Cashore ever wants to continue with this series, a great idea would be to delve into Ashen (I think that’s her name, Bitterlue’s mum) and Leck’s time and relationship. I was more intrigued by their story than what was happening in Bitterblue’s time throughout the book.

Cashore really tried to drill into the mind that the bad guys didn’t really exist and were brainwashed by Leck to do his bidding. So how would one handle such criminals? This make an interesting topic and I think the readers as a whole are divided between punishing them straight or giving them leeway since it is a form of mental illness that they had incurred.  I didn’t enjoy the Katsa and Po characteriziation at all, mainly because I felt as though it didn’t match the Katsa and Po from Graceling. I understand they went through a lot over the years, but I mean they were just far too different that I felt I wasn’t even reading about Katsa and Po. But the Fire cameo was very very appreciated, such a BAMF even after so many decades.

Overall a decent high fantasy paranormal read, but half the book especially the set up could have been shortened since not much happened. Did I mention Bitterblue’s love interest? No, ok well he was cool in the beginning, became funny and witty in the middle, then redundant and boring at the end so I really couldn’t care less about him. Book rating, Ravenclaw read 4/5.

Random Question of the Blog: how do you entertain kids at family gatherings? I usually put some movie on but their attention span is only so large.